Care Following Surgery
- After the procedure, the patient will be taken to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (recovery room) where he or she will be monitored and cared for until ready to go home. The duration of time spent in the PACU is variable, but usually ranges from 30 to 90 minutes.
- In the event of unforeseen complications, the patient may be admitted to the hospital. Surgicenter staff will discuss this with you.
- An adult must be available to take the patient home.
- A Surgicenter nurse will review the patient’s home care instructions with you, and will provide you with a written copy of these instructions.
- It is not unusual for the patient to feel slightly dizzy or sleepy after receiving anesthesia and undergoing an operation or procedure.
- Have a responsible adult stay with the patient for at least for the first 24 hours.
- The patient should not handle any dangerous items for 24 hours.
- Follow the special instructions provided by the practitioner and/or our staff.
- Do not administer medication to the patient without the practitioner’s approval.
- Call the practitioner with any unusual symptoms experienced by the patient.
- A Surgicenter nurse will call you one working day after the procedure.